Saturday, June 24, 2017

"The Truth Will Set You Free"

Man's project is creating a better world for the people. God's project is creating better people for the world. Both of these endeavors have merit.

In my walk with God I have found out the meaning of the Biblical statement “The truth will set you free.” God will find ways to overcome the errors, lies and traps that are used to hold you down. He also will work on you.

How will God work on you? By teaching you whatever is missing in your character, which in my case at least has been quite a lot. Then He will take whatever is right with you and put it into His service.

We see this for example with Paul. Paul started out killing Christians; then Jesus revealed Himself to him. Paul changed in many positive ways. At no point did he lose his brilliance, his courage and his moral certainty. He also learned love, temperance and humility and – having had to learn them consciously rather than unconsciously, allowing for greater insight – became an effective and intelligent exponent of these virtues.

I used to have a girlfriend with a lot of knowledge of psychology who kept claiming that I was avoiding clarity. My response to that is that clarity according to wrongful theories is not clarity but foolishness. As the Bible says, the world's wisdom is foolishness in the eyes of God; and this is what we see with most of these theories. Most of these theories – such as Freud, Adler, personality psychology and self-esteem psychology – I have found it possible to deconstruct rationally. But you do not deconstruct God.

There have been any number of people who wanted me to make many different kinds of changes. I rejected these demands because I could not be certain that the change that they wanted me to make was a good one. I have since then found out that in most cases the change that was demanded was not for the better but for the worse. Whether it be the mindset of Northern Virginia, or of the yuppie world, or of psychology, or of generation X, or of political correctness, or of materialist fundamentalism, it was a degradation and not an improvement upon my previous mindset. Whereas God works only the rightful change; and in the time I have been following God I went from being someone who was roundly denounced to someone whom most people I know see as a good person.

The true meaning of “the truth will set you free” is that it will set you free from sin – both your own and that of others as it impacts upon you. The more this is done, the more we see done in both directions – to create a better world for the people and better people for the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home