Friday, June 24, 2016

Are All Communists Evil?

There are many people who see all Communists as having been evil.

My grandmother was a Communist; but she was nowhere close to being evil. She was a responsible teacher and a strong-willed, ethical woman fully dedicated to her family. She taught me reading and mathematics when I was 3, and she was the main force behind me becoming a star student and finishing University of Virginia at age 18. The virtues that American conservatives claim to possess, she had.

Hate Stalin and his atrocities as much as you want to; but do not begin to think that this applies to my grandmother.

I am not a Communist. I find Communism very easy to refute. There is no such thing as historical inevitability; people's choices will guide history into any number of directions at any given time. The businessman is not a thief; he is someone who gets things done. And the same problems that Communist see as being redressible through class struggle, are redressed a lot better through social mobility.

I have had the Communist influence, and I have had the American influence – both from the liberals and the conservatives. I am working a positive synthesis between the two. I believe in making the best of all possible worlds. People should have the benefit of a thriving private economy and affordable education and health care. People should have the benefit of both working civilization and vibrant environment. People should have the benefit of both science and spirituality; of both thinking and feeling; of both the female and the male.

There have been any number of conscientious people who were attracted to Communism. Not all were brutes, and not all were brats. My grandmother was a Communist who was a good person.


And I am sure there are plenty of other good people who have been part of Communism and should be respected for what they are.

3 Comments:

Blogger In Her Self said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:15 AM  
Blogger In Her Self said...

You may find this interesting: http://www.ninecommentaries.com/


I do think that it is important to have compassion for who people are. When it comes to what they are, I think that is a very different question.

There are some institutions that have committed atrocities so horrendous, that they discredit the institution itself for all time.

I am sure that there were kind people in the Third Reich, but I will never consider Nazism a viable institution. Some could say that it was only implemented incorrectly, but I do not think that it is worth salvaging, once it has been used for such extreme harm. Similarly, The Communist Regime in China has been persecuting Falun Gong practitioners for so many years now. The extent of this persecution in terms of numbers is only just beginning to come to light through major media outlets like Newsweek and CNN, soon, the nature of the Communist Party will be even more clear to the people of the world. I hope that all good people and those of good intention will distance themselves from the Communist Party as quickly and effectively as possible, just as millions of mainland Chinese have already done.

For more information about the CCP and the Tuidang Movement ( the withdraw of millions of Chinese from the party and all affiliated associations) go to:

http://www.ninecommentaries.com/

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I hope that this response was in no way disrespectful or inappropriate.

Best,

Courtney Dowe

2:19 AM  
Blogger Ilya Shambat said...

Courtney, thank you for your thoughts.

I have been a part of the Falun Gong, and yes, what the Chinese government is doing is atrocious. In Communist ideology there is contempt for all religion; and having done a lot of spiritual seeking I can say that quite clearly these people are terribly in the wrong.

I used to be an atheist, but my experiences have proven me wrong. Of course in communicating these experiences I was attacked a lot, and not only by the Communists. There are plenty of people with no association with Communism whatsoever who hate spirituality; and based on their behavior I am not convinced that they would be any better to the spiritual-minded people than the Chinese Communist Party.

Communism is very easy to refute. There is no such thing as historical inevitability; people's choices will take history into any given number of directions at any given time. The businessman is not a thief; he is someone who gets things done. And the same problems that Communists see as being redressible through class struggle are redressed a lot better through social mobility.

Right now, the American conservatives keep equating us - Western liberals - with the atrocities of the Communist Party. It is important that we show to them that we are nothing like these people, and that we have no interest in imposing upon the world any kind of tyranny.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home