Tuesday, January 08, 2019

How Donald Trump Broke My Heart


I vote Democratic; but in the last election I did not vote. I could not make up my mind who was better. Trump was a throw-back to 1980s, and Hillary Clinton was a throw-back to 1990s. Both decades were great economically but terrible socially. In one decade the men were jerks; in the other decade the women were jerks. I do not see a reason to favor one over the other.

When Psychology Today published an article diagnosing Trump with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I wrote in his defence. I wrote that according to the definition of the personality disorder, the world owes vastly to its narcissists. If it is narcissistic to have original ideas, or if it is narcissistic to seek great success, then anyone who's had great ideas and anyone who's had great success was a narcissist, which means that we owe vastly to people who have it.

On cultural issues, I saw Trump in a positive light. Here is someone with excellent taste in architecture who commissioned some of America's most beautiful buildings, as well as someone with excellent taste in women. Melania Trump is the refutation of the central claim of many in feminism – that a woman can't be physically attractive and be strong or smart at the same time. He has extensive contacts with Russia, and I saw him as someone who would bring into America the best of Russian culture and thus enrich America.

Donald Trump, you broke my heart.

How did he break my heart? By acting like a spoiled child. By shutting down the government because he did not get everything that he wanted in the budget. By denying a lot of honest, hard-working people their hard-earned income. And all because of a minor disagreement as to how much money to spend on the wall with Mexico.

Well, how about this, eh? You are a billionaire. If you really want your wall, then pay for it yourself. Or go soliciting money from Texas Oil or from Wall Street, I am sure they will rush for an offer to be a part of such a project. There is no reason why others should suffer in this situation. There are any number of ways to pay for that wall, and they don't have to involve shutting down the government and denying hard-working Americans their income.

It is this kind of behavior that feeds such beliefs as that Trump is a narcissist. What I know for a fact is that, whatever brain chemistry or psychology, people are capable of choice and that means, right choice. Whether Trump is a narcissist or not, he still has the capacity to choose rightfully. And here he is choosing in a way that is in every way wrong.

It looks like we are heading for a showdown, and I won't be supporting the person who acts like a spoiled child with American government. I suppose it then becomes incumbent on us to dig in our heels and stand strong against this irresponsible conduct.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home